Date:      Sat, 22 May 2004 17:54:12 -0500
From:      Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Invalid partition table after sysinstall modifications

Hello,

I've got a 4.9-STABLE system that was dual-booted between FBSD and
Win2K.  I had no further need for the windows slice so I used sysinstall
to delete the NTFS slice, write it as type 165, newfs'd it, mounted it,
and wrote a bunch of data to the new ufs slice.  So far so good...
About 8 hours after this procedure the system hung, I rebooted and
received the message,

   "Invalid partition table"

I was able to boot the system with a FreeSBIE live bootable CDROM and
fsck all the ufs slices.  The data on all slices appear to be good, but
I cannot figure out how to get this box to boot again.  I've google'd
and read the appropriate handbook sections.

This box isn't that important and I could just copy off the data I need
and re-install the OS.  However, I'd like to figure out what went wrong
and fix it the *right* way.

Many TIA,

Doug