Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 14:01:32 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Karsten <Martin.Karsten@KOM.tu-darmstadt.de>
To:        Madhavi Suram <madhavis@sasken.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Router alert option

> I have seen Mr.Ping Pan's implementation of this. This seems to be just
> for receiving a packet with some IP option through a raw IP socket. This

I haven't carefully looked into the code, but it seems enable to receive as
well as intercept (and send through a socket to the user-level) packets with
specific options. What else would you want to do with an RA packet?

> doesn't seem to be containing the kernel processing part of a packet
> with router alert option. In netinet6 I have seen that the ip6_input()
> function sets
> 	ours = 1;
> when it gets a packet with router alert option. Is something similar done
> in case of IPv4 too? If that's the case, I couldn't figure it out in this
> patch.

The equivalent seems to be done within 'ipopt_input', which is called from
both 'ip_input' and 'ip_forward'.

> Or is it already there in the standard kernel itself? Could some one tell
> me how a packet with router alert option is handled in ip_input(), or give
> me some pointers to some description of this processing?

No, this is not handled by the standard kernel. Only RSVP messages (some of
which would usually carry the RA option) are intercepted and send to the
user level (if a socket has registered to receive them).

Greetings,
Martin