Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2015 18:31:40 +0000 (UTC)
From:      Will Parsons <varro@nodomain.invalid>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question regarding local scripts

Raimund Sacherer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am rather new to FreeBSD, putting a couple of new servers in production. I read a lot in the manuals, the man hier and googled around, but I can't find best practices for storing local scripts / apps.
>
> In Debian this part was easy, Debian never touches /usr/local, so I had this complete namespace for internal use.
>
> How to do this in FreeBSD the sane way?
>
> I thought of creating /scripts, but this seems odd, I thought of /opt/scripts or /opt/scripts/[s]bin hierarchy, or /opt/local/[s]bin hierarchy, but I am not sure how you are doing this sort of thing.
>
> I think what I like best would be to recreate a sort of /usr/local hierarchy under /opt/local.

I was a bit hesitant at first too, when I moved from Linux to freeBSD,
but now I have no qualms at all about installing local software under
/usr/local (assuming the software is meant for general use - if just
for one user, install under $HOME).  There's really no need IMO to
keep it separate from software installed by pkg.

--
Will