Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 17:17:01 +0100
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ab.ca>, Tom Glover <tomg@egg.net>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mach64 ATI Rage Mobility on Inspiron 5000-7000 [Re: apmd]

Well, the message is both about accelerated X server and its APM behaviour.

Ted Faber wrote:

> >    Tom> Closing the laptop lid does zilch. I could wait for winter
> >    Tom> and still nothing. In the BIOS for this laptop there is no
> >    Tom> option for configuring what happens when the lid is
> >    Tom> closed. When running Windoze the laptop goes to sleep on a
> >    Tom> close lid just fine. Just not under FreeBSD.
> >
> >Is X running when you close the lid? On my Dell Inspiron 7000, closing
> >the lid while X has the display will lock the machine up solid every
> >time. I have to switch to a non-X console window (i.e. M-C-F1) before
> >closing the lid, at which point all the expected things happen.
>
> I see the same behavior on a Fujitsu LifeBook C-5130.  I think these
> two use the same graphics chipset (ATI Mach 64 Mobility), which may be
> the common problem.  The vga driver doesn't seem to know how to mode
> switch on this hardware, and the vesa module seems to bail totally.
> I've attached a dmesg from a verbose boot with the FB_DEBUG symbol set
> to 2 when the kernel was compiled.  The kernel is 4.0-stable from
> yesterday.
>
> I tried mucking with the vga code a little to see if I could get it
> working, but didn't have any luck, although by relaxing the test for
> matching the VGA modes table I did recognize more modes. :-)  The
> dmesg is from unmodified 4.0-stabel code.
>
> Any help from the VGA literate would be appreciated, and I'm happy to
> test patches, or send any other output that would help.

I can't help with VGA, but probably can with Mach64 server.
I've got Inspiron5000 with Mach64 ATI Rage Mobility adapter and 1400x1050
screen. A month ago I found the patch which allowed me to use Mach64 server
in accelerated mode. And luckily, the patch prevents hanging after closing
the lid as well!

The only disadvantage is that it's the patch for XFree 3.3.5.
But the latest version of the TrueType XFree is also based on 3.3.5, so I
don't complain :-)

I don't remember the original location of the patch, but I have put it
here:
http://www.dante.net/staff/konstantin/XFree86-3.3.5-FreeBSD-3.3-Inspiron7500.tar.gz

--
          * *        Konstantin Chuguev - Application Engineer
       *      *              Francis House, 112 Hills Road