Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 1999 15:06:06 -0800
From:      gregm@netidea.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp/modem configuration

The modem is a USR 33.6. When I try to run ppp it can't find it. As
you can see from the boot messages below, the modem chooses
sio2 and not one of the serial ports. With more sio2 and 3 in the
kernel it chooses sio4. It doesn't matter what I set the device to (i.e.
cuaa0/4) in the ppp.conf file the modem isn't found. I reset the
jumpers on the modem to override pnp but that had no effect. I need
the pnp device in my kernel (hopefully so my sound card will work)
though if there is no other way I will sacrifice sound. I did get the
modem to dial during an earlier attempt but reinstalled and am stuck.
I'm using 2.2.6 and am new to FreeBSD as well as UNIX.
Thank you,
Greg Martin.
gregm@netidea.com

CSN 2 Vendor ID: USR0011 [0x11007256] Serial 0x35353535
sio2: type 16550A
sio2 (siopnp <USR0011> sn 0x35353535) at 0x3e8 irq 5 drq -1 flags
0x0 id 10
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa