Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:07:26 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <f.staals@zonnet.nl>
To:        "Eugene M. Minkovskii" <emin@mccme.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD's pf and traffic

Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Does any body know, how can I use OpenBSD's pf (packet filter) for
>determine total traffic volume on network interface? If it's
>impossible, what facility you recommend me to do this?

I don't realy know if it is impossible to use PF for monitoring the
total traffic. But you can ( just as I do  ) use MRTG ( Multi Router
Traffic ) to keep track of the amount of data which you are using. It
renders html-documents. By default MRTG only keeps track of the current
bandwith-usage with a script which is known as 'mrtg-totals' you can
also get graphs of the total amount of traffic.

See www.mrtg.org and
http://freebsd.munk.nu/archives/157-MRTG-Totals-Perl-Script.html

Good Luck

Frank Staals