Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 10:16:17 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   compile kernel - copy it to another machine?

Will it work to compile a kernel on one machine and then copy/boot that
kernel on another machine with different hardware?  I've been trying to
do this, but I can't get the kernel to boot on the machine to which it
was copied.  I've made sure that the kernel config file is crafted
specifically to the hardware of the machine to which I am copying it.  I
would like to do this because one of my machines is many orders faster
than the other and can compile a kernel in a matter of a few minutes,
whereas the other machine (a P166) might take an hour.  I have found a
few pages where people talk of this, but no specific caveats or
examples.  Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,
Nathan