Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2019 15:18:41 +0900 (JST)
From:      Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is IPV6 option still necessary?

On October 10, 2012 IPV6 option of all ports was enabled by
default. Commit message said "We are in 2012, it is time to activate
IPV6 options by default everywhere".

And now we are in 2019. IPv6 is more widely used than 2012. So I
wonder if IPV6 option is still necessary.

If you use official packages then you always use IPv6-enabled
binaries. And even if you build packages by yourself you still use
IPv6-enabled ones unless you disable IPV6 option. So I think at most
only a few people uses IPv6-disabled packages.

Are there anybody who still disables IPV6 option for some serious
reason such as working around IPv6-related problem? If there aren't
then I think it's time to remove IPV6 option from ports framework.

Best Regards.

---
Yasuhiro KIMURA