Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2016 13:09:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        gyliamos@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to downgrade X server

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016, Will Parsons wrote:

> Warren Block wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2016, Will Parsons wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't been using one.  The Xorg log shows:
>>
>> The fbdev errors are ignorable.  Is that the entire log?  The Intel
>> HD3000 should work fine.
>
> No - I just started with the first errror messages.  I've included the
> entire log below.
>
>> As a start, please describe your hardware.  Some notebooks have hybrid
>> graphics like Optimus which are a problem.  If that is not present,
>> defining just the device in xorg.conf.d might be all that is needed.
>
> It's a Lenovo Edge E520 laptop - see below for info from dmesg.
> Any help is much appreciated.

Specs from the web don't indicate any hybrid graphics, which is good
news.  The log file does not have any obvious problems.

Please make sure there are no old xorg.conf files in /etc/X11/ or
/usr/local/etc/X11/.  Nothing more should be required, but it would do
no harm to manually set a Device as shown here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html#x-config-video-cards-file-intel

Probably also a good idea to use vt(4) in case the black screen is due
to X exiting.  In /boot/loader.conf, add
   kern.vty=vt

That only takes effect after a reboot.

Finally, check the contents of .xinitrc and .xsession for unexpected
things.  Neither is required.

Test X with just startx.  Don't try to use display managers like xdm or
gdm yet.