Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:30:31 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: External  USB hardrive recomendation ?

On Thursday 14 March 2002 08:44 am, Bara Zani wrote:
| Hi ,
| I am looking at buying a usb hard drive ,
| wondering if anyone is using one under FreeBSD ? if so your recommendations
| are welcomed ...

The LaCie harddrive is the cheapest 80G drive I found.  It works (at least
with an up-to-date kernel; the kernel required a patch to the SCSI "quirks"
file), and it supports USB2, so it "should" be fast,
but under FreeBSD it's quite slow.  I suspect that this is becauuse FreeBSD
doesn't support USB2 yet, but I'm speaking from ignorance here.

Anyway, it's cheap, big, and (so far at least) reliable, but slow. (Slow, as
in, it looks like it would take around 24 hours to fill up the 80G drive.)

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                ME -->  http://www.babbleon.org
http://www.eff.org   <-- GOOD GUYS -->  http://www.programming-freedom.org