Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:52:15 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware reads disk on non-sector boundary

At 10:11 AM +0200 10/3/02, Mark Santcroos wrote:
>On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 09:04:04AM +0100, Ian Dowse wrote:
>>  See the patch I posted in:
>>

>>	http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=0+6285+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-emulation/20020908.freebsd-emulation
>>
>>  There may still be further issues, but it allowed me to use vmware2
>>  on a current from a week or two ago.
>
>That's only for virtual disks, and that is not where the problem is (was).
>For most people this is not a solution.
>
>I have an almost-ready patch that implements linux_read() syscall. This
>will check if we are reading from a raw disk and in that case it will
>enlarge the read() to the next sector boundary. I have it working in the
>kernel but I have problems returning the right read buffer to userland.

Hmm.  I might not be any good for the raw-disk testing.  All I use
are virtual disks.  (I have a 32-gig disk with a bunch of 2-gig
virtual-disks on it.  With that many systems, it's much easier for
me to deal with files than a whole bunch of "small" partitions on
the raw disk).

The patch from Ian sounds like it would be interesting for me.  I'll
have to try that.  It would be great if I could get back to regularly
running an up-to-date current.