Date:      01 Apr 2000 13:46:43 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        bobwirka@ticon.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source Code Location?

Bob Wirka <bobwirka@ticon.net> writes:

> Can't seem to figure out where it's located on any of the 4 CDs. Do you
> have to install FreeBSD (and unpack everything)  before you can view the
> source? If not, where (and how, on a Windows system) would I find the
> source?

The source is on the first disk, in the subdirectory named 'src'.  The
files in there are 'tar' files, compressed and split into 235k chunks.
The 'ssys.*' ones make up the set of "system" source files, which
contain the kernel portions (i.e., the stack itself).  Many commands
related to IP are in other collections (primarily the usr/bin set,
which are in subin.*).

On FreeBSD, the way to expand them is
 cat ssys.*|tar -xzv -C <location to leave the results> -f -
I don't really know how to do it on Windows (I actually use FreeBSD,
you see), but the basic theory would be similar:  you need to
concatenate the files, uncompress them, and untar them.  The latter
two parts require programs that don't come with Windows:  versions of
gunzip and tar.  I believe that Cygnus has versions of these programs,
but there may be simpler ways to get them.

Good luck.