Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 16:05:52 -0300 (ADT)
From:      David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   openssh incompatabilities

Ok, I just installed 4.1.1-Release, which has openssh-2.1(.1 ?) as
part of the base distribution.

I need to be able to interoperate with a server running
"SSH-2.0-2.2.0 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)"

and openssh-2.1 does not seem to do this all that well
(I can give more detailed complaints, but the response in
the problem database was "Take it up  with openssh").

ok, fine, so I built openssh-2.2.0p1 from the tar file on openssh.com.
Now ssh works, but scp dies with

bremner@gaea.cs.unb.ca's password:
scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.
select: Bad file descriptor
lost connection

So hmm.

I next considered installing the other ssh from the ports collection,
but I'm not sure how that will interact with openssh in the base
collection. Can I "deinstall" openssh somehow, or do I have to
make world from source?  Any other clever ideas?