Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 01:20:12 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oh the rapture

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <39A1F0DD.AA954958@urx.com> Kent Stewart writes:
> : After 4.1, yes. If you read /usr/src/UPDATING, you have two choices.
> : The first one runs like
> : 1. make buildworld
> : 2. make buildkernel KERNEL=PRYDN
> : 3. make installkernel KERNEL=PRYDN
> : 4. reboot to single user
> : 5. make installworld
> : 6. mergemaster
> : 7. reboot
>
> Yes, for 4.1-stable to 4.1-stable you should have no need to do step
> 4, although prudence argues that you should test the new kernel before
> installing the new userland world.

That is why I like that scheme. It isn't much of a test but a simple
boot does test the kernel and then I can install my world. If the
kernel doesn't work, I still have a kernel.old and a working world
that belongs to it. It also doesn't really take a lot of time to boot
to single user mode on my machines.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart