Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 05:37:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! - "parity error during data-in phase" when using CD-R drv

On Tuesday, 25 May 1999 at 11:03:15 -0700, Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 23 May 1999, Donald Burr wrote:
>
>> I have suddenly started getting the following types of error messages when
>> trying to access a CD-ROM that's mounted in my SCSI CD-R (CD-recordiable,
>> cd writer) device.
>>
>> May 23 03:01:51 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
>> May 23 03:01:51 control /kernel: SEQADDR == 0x110
>> May 23 03:01:52 control /kernel: SCSIRATE == 0xf
>> May 23 03:02:34 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): SCB 0x31 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR == 0x153
>> May 23 03:02:34 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): BDR message in message buffer
>> May 23 03:02:34 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): SCB 0x31 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR == 0x153
>> May 23 03:02:35 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): no longer in timeout, status = 34b
>> May 23 03:02:35 control /kernel: ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 120 SCBs aborted
>> May 23 03:02:35 control /kernel: (cd0:ahc0:0:4:0): parity error during Data-In phase.
>> May 23 03:02:35 control /kernel: SEQADDR == 0x110
>> May 23 03:02:35 control /kernel: SCSIRATE == 0xf
>> [...]
>>
>> Please note that ALL OF MY OTHER SCSI PERIPHERALS ARE WORKING FINE.
>
> Hm, this implies that the CDR is busted.  My guess is that it's the
> cable.

If it were the cable, the other devices wouldn't work either.  And it
wouldn't explain why this happened suddenly.

>> SCSI: Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI SCSI controller
>> 	SCSI disk 0: Quantum Viking 4.5 GB
>> 	SCSI disk 1: Quantum Viking 4.5 GB
>> 	SCSI disk 2: IBM 0662 S12 1.0 GB
>> 	SCSI CD-ROM 4: Sony CDU-926S CD-Recordable (CD-R) drive
>> 	SCSI Scanner 5: UMAX Astra 1200S
>> 	SCSI DAT drive 6: Wangtek 6200-HS
>> 	(Yes, the bus is properly terminated and all that, I checked.)
>
> Did you check it again?

Again, if it was a simple termination problem, the others wouldn't
work either.

>> Anyway, as I said, my other SCSI devices (hard drives, scanner, etc.) are
>> working fine.  The ATAPI DVD-ROM drive is also working fine.  It's only
>> the SCSI CD-recorder that does not work.  It fails when accessing mounted
>> CD's (doing a 'du' of the CD will bring the error on really quickly), and
>> also I cannot use tosha to grab audio tracks off of it (same error).  I
>> don't dare trying to write a CD on it...
>
> It may not support those operations.  How old is the CDR?

If it doesn't support the operation, it would say so.  A parity error
suggests that there's something wrong with the connection or the
device.  We've ruled out the connection.

>> The drive does not work under Windows either.
>
> Hm, perhaps the entire drive is bad.

Sounds like it.

>> It seems to me, then, that I somehow managed to damage the drive while
>> moving it between cases.  But I thought I had better post this anyway, in
>> case someone else out there has any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, or
>> how I might go about fixing this.
>
> Cable on upside down?

That would stop everything from working.

It's possible, though unlikely in this case, that the device is
particularly sensitive to the bus load and termination.  I've had a
couple of drives like that, and you (Donald) have a lot of stuff on
the chain.  Could you try removing as much as possible (at least the
DDS drive and the scanner, and any disks you can get by without for a
test), and see if you can get it to work then.

Greg