Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 09:06:27 -0800
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        charon@freethought.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IRAF

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 10:31:25PM -0800, charon@freethought.org wrote:

> Might I suggest that someone look into porting IRAF (an astronomy utility
> for image analysis, etc.) to FreeBSD?  The IRAF website
> <http://iraf.noao.edu>; has a FreeBSD version of the program, but it's not
> in the ports collection.  Sorry, I would try to make the port myself if I
> had half a clue what I was doing!  Maybe I'll get around to it in a few
> years ;)

I have looked into this.  It appears fairly non-trivial, and my
impression from their documentation is that the installation will
vary more from site to site than it does for most software.

I did notice that NOAO recommends using the binaries that they
built, rather than building from source.  On the one hand, I like
to build everything, but on the other hand IRAF is... non-small
in the extreme.  I'm not sure which way to go.

Anyway, I don't have time to pursue the issue these days.  Perhaps
somebody else does.  I think it would be pretty hard to do the port
without already knowing IRAF, which severely reduces the number of
available candidates.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@pobox.com> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/pgp.key for PGP public key 0x67203349.