Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 17:19:07 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Vs ThinkPad T40 or R40?

> Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 16:55:39 -0400
> From: Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> probably said:
> > The internal modem is the newer ICH version of the Lucent WinModem. To
> > this point I know of no support for it under FreeBSD. The wireless card
> > can be either an Intel or a Cisco. I know that the Cisco is supported,
> > but I don't believe the latest Intel is. It uses the Broadcom 440. I
> > believe that support for this chip is in the works, but I don't know
> > just when it will happen.
>
> The Intel mini-pci wireless card that I have from IBM is Prism 2.5. Is
> there a newer chipset from Intel ?

Yes, Intel has, like many others, dropped the Prism and are now using a
Broadcom chip. Very annoying! At least they give you the option of
buying systems with Cisco cards, as well, but the default is the Intel.

There is a Linux driver for this chip and someone very recently said
that they were trying to adapt it to FreeBSD.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)