Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 17:19:42 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Part #1 - Newbie Help Determining Lost Root After Upgrade From 4.	0 to 4.1

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 09:13:36AM -0700, Kent Stewart wrote:

> [...]
> > > it's too long and have broken it into parts.
> > >
> > > I have attempted to upgrade from 4.0-S to 4.1-S using CVSup and compile
> > > instructions from the Handbook.  I have to admit that I don't exactly
> > > understand what I'm doing at each step but I following the directions
> > > explicitly.
> > >
> > > In summary I:
> > > 1. Used CVSup to update my source.
> > >
> > > 2. Ran "make buildworld" (took about 36 hours on my 486DX4 120mhz -- Is this
> > > normal?)
> > >
> > > 3. Ran "make installworld"
> > >
> > > 4. Ran "make buildkernel"
> > >
> > > 5. Ran "make installkernel"
> > >
> > > 6. Ran "mergemaster" but took the "leave it alone" default on everything as
> > > I didn't understand what it was really doing.
> > >
> > > 7. Ran "sh MAKEDEV all" to update /dev.
> > >
> > > 8. Ran "make all install" to update /stand.
> > >
> > > 9. Rebooted.
> > >

> > Hmm, the file you really should consult here is /usr/src/UPDATING. You
> > got the sequence slightly wrong (the handbook doesn't always get
> > updated immediately, UPDATING does). From /usr/src/UPDATING:
> >
> >         To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
> >         4.x-STABLE
> >         ----------
> >         make buildworld
> >         make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >         make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >         reboot  (in single user) [1]
> >         make installworld
> >         mergemaster
> >         reboot
> >
> > > When I reboot, the system is unable to mount the root device.  I am able to
> > > unload the new kernel, load the old one and boot without error.
> >
> > Good, at least you can boot the system....
> >
> > > I'm sure
> > > I've done something wrong and would like to know what it is.  I could take
> > > the easy way out and just install 4.1 from scratch but I wouldn't learn
> > > anything that way.
> > >

> > Looking at the boot messages it is finding ata0 and ata1, the IDE
> > controllers, but it isn't even probing for the disks. In the config
> > file for your custom kernel you have commented out important IDE
> > devices:
> >
> > # ATA and ATAPI devices
> > device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
> > device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
> > #device         ata
> > #device         atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
> > #device         atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
> > #device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
> > #device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
> > #options        ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
> > #options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices
> >
> > uncomment ata, atadisk, atapicd (if you have a CD-ROM), and atapifd
> > and re-build your custom kernel. If that fails, build a GENERIC kernel
> > and see if that boots.
>
> In his cvsup file he has ports-all tag=. and then lines later he has
> the crypto souces. Did he get RELENG_4 crypto's or did he get

I spotted that, but since -crypto doesn't exist as a separate
collection anymore I would expect an error message from cvsup to that
effect, which is what I saw when -crypto became part of src-all
(judging by his domain he's in Canada so the USA-specific crypto
issues wouldn't apply)

> Also, isn't the default on mergemaster todo nothing, which didn't
> upgrade any of his /etc files.

Yes, but that wouldn't prevent the kernel finding the root partition.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie