Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:17:22 -0600
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "Roofscum614@aol.com" <Roofscum614@aol.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question?

On 09/03/07, Roofscum614@aol.com <Roofscum614@aol.com> wrote:
> hi i am doing a project for school:
>
> find an alternative operating system - one that will run my  computer
> without Windows being installed.  The cheaper the better (Hint  start your
> search with the word "free").  Find out what the software  does, what
> applications it supports (e.g., will it run Microsoft Office), how  much it
> costs.
>

> does your OS relate to this project? any help would be appreciated.

FreeBSD probably does relate to your project.

It costs time and effort.

It supports a few applications.
( http://www.freebsd.org/ports/categories-alpha.html )

In essence, "the software" allows a human (bark recognition
software might be in the works somewhere, I do not know) to
use the machine within the constraints of a certain set of the
universe of possibilities.  In other words, it can help you process
text.  It probably is of no use if you wish to drive nails into sheet-
rock with the machine.