Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 14:06:16 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP:  5.0-RELEASE ports freeze starts on Sunday

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9

On Sunday night at 8pm PST (2am Monday morning GMT) the ports tree
will enter ports freeze in preparation for 5.0-RELEASE.

5.0 package builds will be run continuously on i386 and alpha, the
progress of which can be viewed online at the usual locations:

i386: http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/5-latest/
alpha: http://beta.freebsd.org/errorlogs/5-latest/

Packages can be downloaded from:

i386: http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-5-latest/
alpha: http://beta.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-5-latest/

e.g. by setting the PACKAGESITE variable with pkg_add.

  ** NO UNAPPROVED COMMITS TO THE PORTS COLLECTION DURING THIS TIME **

This rule will be strictly enforced.

The only exception to this rule is that commits to fix build problems
on 5.0 may be done at any time without permission.  I want to
encourage port committers and maintainers to use the time between now
and 5.0-RELEASE to fix port builds (don't forget that there are a lot
of uncommitted PRs containing port fixes!).

Critical updates and security fixes will be permitted (with approval
from portmgr@), but low-priority upgrades/changes will not be.  Make
sure you get any such commits in before the Sunday deadline.

Port maintainers and others are encouraged to test their ports and the
generated packages during this time; the idea being that we hope
maintainers and users will test the packages, fix critical build
failures (especially on the often-overlooked alpha platform) and
improve the quality of the release.

In particular, there are still over 700 packages that fail to build on
5.0-CURRENT for the i386 platform, and even more on alpha.  I'd like
to get this number down under 500.  If you are a port maintainer and
wish your port to be available to users of the forthcoming
5.0-RELEASE, NOW is the time to do something about it.

Kris

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9

--gj572EiMnwbLXET9--