Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:37:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michael Sims <jellicle@inch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: dual-boot to second drive

On 25-Mar-00 Michael Sims wrote:

> I have two physical IDE drives, primary master C: with Win98, and primary
> slave with (I hope) a successful installation of FreeBSD 3.4 on it from
> CD-ROM.  I say "I hope" because I don't have any way to boot into it
> except by booting the 3.4 CD-ROM, which starts the installation process,
> or by booting from the kernel and mfsroot floppies I made, which also
> start the installation process.
>
> Now, I believe I need a boot manager at the beginning of the C: to query
> me whether I want to boot into Windows or FreeBSD.  However, _The Complete
> FreeBSD_ sure doesn't seem to discuss this particular situation, at all.
> What is the best way of doing this without running any significant risk of
> devastating the C:?

Boot up into the installation.  Don't reinstall FreeBSD, but instead go to
Configure -> Fdisk -> wd0 -> type 'Q' to exit that screen -> BootMgr should
be selected, so just hit Enter, and that should do the trick.  If you want
a nicer looking boot manager, go into Windows 98, pop in the FreeBSD CD, and
look in the tools/ subdirectory for osbsbeta.exe.  (Don't worry, it says beta,
but I've never had any problems with it).  Make a bootable floppy, then copy
osbsbeta.exe over onto the floppy.  Pop up a DOS window and run osbsbeta while
on A: to extract it.  It contains a README, and you can just boot your system
off the floppy to install it.  Be sure and save a copy of your current MBR when
doing this so that in case something does happen to break for some weird reason,
you can restore your working setup.  That is detailed in the README, IIRC.