Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:12:04 -0400
From:      David Jones <dej@inode.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD on notebook w/ Xircom adapter

I am in the market for a notebook computer.  Which will have my favorite =
OS
installed on it.

I was in the showroom today with the 4.1-RELEASE KERN and MFSROOT disks t=
check compatability.  Everything seems to work, except for the Ethernet c=
ard -
a Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 (CEM56), which if_xe.c cla=
ims to
support.

Is this driver present in the kernel on the install floppies?  It is pres=
ent in
the GENERIC configuration file - is that what's used on the install flopp=
ies?

After booting into the installation system, I invoked the emergency holog=
raphic
shell and did "ifconfig -a".  No Ethernet devices showed up.

Is there anything I have to do during the initial install to enable these
devices?  My preferred method of installing is to fetch the packages usin=
g FTP,
then install from a LAN-based NFS or FTP server.  Therefore, I need Ether=
net to
be working on the install-boot floppy.

Is there a better compatibility acceptance test?  Something I can do reas=
onably
quickly in the showroom, without destroying the demo model (i.e. no trash=
ing
the hard disk).

I am not about to plunk down CAD$3500 on a nice new notebook
unless I am 100% sure that it can run FreeBSD with Ethernet and modem.