Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 13:29:53 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Paul Murphy <pnmurphy@home.com>
Cc:        Dan O'Connor <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My machine prints "calcru: negative time..."

Paul Murphy wrote:

> Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
> CPU: i486 DX2 (486-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x436  Stepping=6
>   Features=0xb<FPU,VME,PSE>
>
>  That doesn't seem right, does it? 1.2 MHz?

That's right; that frequency is the i8254, not the TSC. (Don't ask me
what both of these are, I just know that they're different things and
that the frequency above is correct for the i8254.)

>  It is actually a  486DX2/66. Is the 'Timecounter' settable in the
> kernel?

I think only 586s and above have a TSC, so the machdep.tsc_freq sysctl may
not exist, or may be meaningless.

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D