Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2019 22:26:19 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD on HP Computer that is using software RAID 5

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 11:06:33 +0000, Carmel NY wrote:
> Three SATA drives, 1,863 GB each, configured into a RAID 5 with 3,762
> total GB
>
> This is a software RAID, Intel Rapid Storage Technology 16.5.1.1030
>
> I have included the full information at the end. The system is
> presently running Win 10 PRO just fine. I want to convert it to a
> FreeBSD 12 system. If I install FreeBSD 12 amd64 utilizing ZFS, will it
> recognize the drives and set them up correctly or will I have to do
> something manually? I want to keep the RAID setup and not use the
> drives individually.

Is there a reason you don't want to use ZFS's native RAID
features? It's commonly suggested to not rely on software
RAID and instead let ZFS manage the drives. You can construct
the same RAID setups with ZFS as you can with the controller,
and as you're going to scratch the existing content anyway,
there is no need to preserve anything of the previous layout.

More information here:

http://www.zfsbuild.com/2010/05/26/zfs-raid-levels/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#RAID-Z

--