Date:      Sun, 04 Oct 1998 00:18:23 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anyone using 'at' ?

Ahhhh... this is why I love freebsd. :)

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Oct 03), Studded said:
> > I got interested in using the 'at' utility to schedule some work and
> > found out that it doesn't seem to be matching the behavior described
> > in the man pages. I am loathe to call this a bug because I'm totally
> > unfamiliar 'at' and it might be pilot error.
> >
> >       To start with, if I type in a very simple command like:
> >
> > at 22:29 command
> >
> > it never returns, and the job never executes. Doing anything more
> > exciting (like is described in the man page) such as:
>
> Check the manpage.  At expects the script to be supplied from stdin (or
> a filename specified by -f).

	Heh, I've read the man page about 148 times now. :) It's completely
without examples though, so some of the info didn't click till I read
what you said. Doing it like this works:

at -f file now + 5 minutes

or:

at now + 5 minutes<return>
type in commands
type in more commands
^D

or finally:

echo 'do this thing' | at now + 5 minutes

> > at now + 5 seconds command
> >
> > I get "at: incomplete time"
>
> The manpage doesn't list a seconds parameter.

	Yeah, I meant minutes but that wasn't the error. It was the fact that I
tried to specify the command all on the same line.

Thanks VERY much, :)

Doug