Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:39:37 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Enabling Softupdates in default install on -CURRENT

* Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org> [011201 22:27] wrote:

> I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't time to switch sysinstall to start
> configuring softupdates "by default" for file systems at install-time. We
> currently allow it to be selected, but don't enable it by default.  I
> would propose it be turned on by default for all non-root file systems, or
> some other similar rule (file systems <64MB, ..).  Given that this is the
> primary recommendation made for system performance tuning, and not only
> addresses performance but improved reliability, it seems to me that this
> would be a sensible change to introduce at some useful breaking point, and
> 5.0 provides a good opportunity to do that.
>
> Any objections?

No objections, please do this!  Btw, it's a shame that people are
so reluctant to do it on '/' i know there's issues about it filling
up, but I think rather than saying no softdep on '/', it would
make sense to say no softdep on '/' if it's smaller than 120 megs,
the main reason being /tmp.

Perhaps a dialog at install time that clearly states:
  "Would you like to enable 'soft-updates' on your root partition?
   This can dramatically speed up operations involving temporary
   files, but you may experience 'out of space' errors if you are
   not careful.

       [YES]  [NO]
  "

The default being to disable them.