Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 09:15:37 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, apolli@pucrs.br
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fonts

Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> types:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:46:50AM -0300, Alexandre Polli wrote:

> > I might be getting nuts, but I remember that, while installing 4.2
> > some time ago I saw in the packages index a software, which I do not
> > remember the name, that would take the TT fonts of a Windows
> > installation in the same HD and convert them to FreeBSD. Does this
> > thing exist? Is it the the ultimate solution for the font problems
> > in netscape?
> I think it's called 'cp' . Any ttf fonts should work with both,
> shouldn't they?

No, they don't. XFree86 3.3.x doesn't support ttf fonts
native. XFree86 4.0.x has to have the ttf font support enabled at
build time.

The print/freetype port is a truetype font rendering engine.  If
you're using XFree86 3.3.x, you can use the x11-servers/xtt-xfs port
to add truetype font support to X vai freetype.

> > Also, how do I install new fonts into FreeBSD?

If you want FreeBSD fonts, they go in /usr/share/syscons/fonts and are
loaded with vidfont. The format isn't well documented, but it's
not a scalable font.

If you want X fonts, then it's a bit more complicated, and depends on
the font format. I'd check the XFree86 site for details.

	<mike