Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 03:58:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dean Gaudet <dgaudet-list-freebsd-mobile@arctic.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seamless nomadic e-mail access

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> > > I don't understand this.  It is *the* obvious answer to the problem;
> > > all your mail is in one place, and it's always with you.  You don't
> > > have to worry at all about getting "at" your mail, or any of the agony
> > > you describe.
> >
> > Uh, no it is not "the obvious answer", it's the wrong answer.  What you're
> > saying is that if I forget my laptop at home and go to work (which is a 40
> > minute commute) then, well, I can't read email all day long.  Sorry, not
> > an acceptable answer.  There's a reason I keep my mail on a server that's
> > internet accessible.
>
> This is like saying that if you leave you keys home, you can't get into
> the office.  The proposed solution works, it is not idiot-proof; if you
> want that, Hotmail is the answer.

I don't think you understand the other requirements of *disconnected mail
reading*.  Hotmail is not an answer -- all hotmail does is give you access
to some subset of your mail from "anywhere".  What is needed here is both
the ability to read mail from anywhere while online, and the ability to
read and manipulate cached subset of your mail while offline.  Go read
about IMAP 4 disconnected mode if you haven't yet.

> Disregarding that, using APOP/IMAP/SMTP ETRN via fetchmail provides a
> very usable solution that doesn't depend on any sort of bandwidth
> between you and your server(s), is completely portable and allows you to
> work offline.  I spent quite a bit of time researching this myself, and
> while there are plenty of "should do it" solutions, this is the only one
> that worked for me.

This assumes that you want to have all your mail have one canonical
destination, a destination which travels with you ... rather than a
destination that's locked in a machine room somewhere getting regular
backups and less likely to be stolen or lost.

Dean