Date:      Thu, 24 May 2018 15:39:54 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Pause pkg install messages

On 24.05.2018 15:08, Johannes Lundberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> The first thing me and probably many other do after install is
> pkg install xxx yyy zzz
> from console (meaning no scrollback buffer).
>
> With xorg and friends this means hundreds of packets. After install all the
> pkg messages are display and most of sometimes very valuable information is
> just scrolled away.
>
> Is there an easy way to fix* this by piping the output through less or
> something to pause for each screen so that the messages just aren't
> scrolled away?
>
> In addition to that it would be nice (if it's not already done) to store
> this information in a log file somewhere so that one can revisit and see
> what needs to be manually configured for each installed package.
>
> *by fix I mean something that does not put the burden on the user.

Installation/deinstallation of packages logged by default to /var/log/messages.
Syscons console has scrollback buffer by default.
If vt(4) has not, that's regression after syscons and should be fixed in the vt.

Also, one can have, for tcsh: alias pkg 'script -a /var/log/pkg.log pkg-static'
So "pkg install xxx yyy zzz" adds fulls output to specified file.