Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:36:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        green@unixhelp.org (Brian Feldman)
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem for the VM gurus

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, John S. Dyson wrote:
>
> > Howard Goldstein said:
> > > On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:38:51 -0400 (EDT), Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org> wrote:
> > >  : On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> > >  : >     ... what version of the operating system?
> > >  : 4.0-CURRENT
> > >
> > > 3.2R too...
> > >
> > I just checked the source (CVS) tree, and something bad happend
> > between 1.27 and 1.29 on ufs_readwrite.c.  Unless other things
> > had been changed to make the problem go away, the recursive vnode
> > thing was broken then.  I am surprised that was changed that long
> > ago.  (The breakage is an example of someone making a change, and
> > not either understanding why the code was there, or forgetting to
> > put the alternative into the code.)
>
> Is that the limit to Bruce's fu*kup, or did he break it elsewhere, too? It'd be
> nice to get this reversed since it's been found. And FWIW, semenu seems to
> be the only one to have anything to handle IN_RECURSE, probably because his
> NTFS code was recently committed and not mangled.

I think that I had most of the filesystems fixed somewhere (in my private
tree or in the standard one.)  It is easy to make mistakes, but he was
also right that there is probably a better way to do it.  I suggest putting
the recurse stuff back in for a quick fix, and working the problem in
more detail in the future.

(I could even be wrong if this is where the problem came in -- so much has
 happened since then :-)).

John