Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 14:02:41 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your comment re so_gencnt

* Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> [000908 16:54] wrote:
> <<On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:57:12 -0700, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> said:
>
> > I'm tempted to remove it, am I missing something though?
>
> Yes, you're missing the entire point.
>
> Read the CVS log messages, and if you still don't understand, I'll
> explain it to you in private.

Ok, I get it now.

Is it possible for you to come up with an alternate scheme for
doing this or seeing about making zalloci MPsafe?  I'd really rather
not have to grab Giant for each socket allocated/freed.

I honestly don't like the fact this change creates yet another boot
time hard limit, do you have the time to possibly rethink it?

One suggestion would just to go back to using the system malloc
and keeping a freelist which should achive the same effect as stable
storage , this could be tuned later as we should move to a slab
allocator in the future anyhow.

Would you be ok with a change to that effect for the time being?

thanks,
-Alfred