Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:51:16 -0800
From:      Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dick@nagual.st
Subject:   Re: lpr -> cups

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> I'm thinking of changing my printing system from good-old lpr to cups.
> Mainly because my (home) network computers can find the main printer
> more easy with cups than with /etc/printcap (windows and os-x machines)
>
> Installing cups should not be too difficult. I have a very goo how2 for
> it. However, what about the printing filters?
>
> With lpr I use apsfilter and that works very very well for all kind of
> printjobs. Will cups take care of this too? What do I look for as a
> replacement for apsfilter then?

I have had a bit of a time setting up cups.  I am trying to use the pips
filters for it, but it's not working at the moment.  I can print using
the default CUPS filters, but they are very poor quality.  I am using an
Epson 2200.  Give it a try, maybe we can get it figured out together.  I
have used cups with a great deal of success under Linux, but
unfortunately  it has been a pain in the rear under FreeBSD.