Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 23:41:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jmutter <jmutter@ds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netbooting/Bootp - something's wrong...

I'm trying to boot a FreeBSD 4.0 machine over the net.  I'm using one of
Intel's PXE cards and ISC dhcp v2.

I can load pxeloader which in turn loads the kernel - however I'm getting
stuck here:

bootpc_init: wired to interface 'fxp0'
bootpc_init: using network interface 'fxp0'
Bootpc testing starting
bootpc hw address:0:90:27:af:7c:75
BOOTP: timeout for server 0xffffff00
BOOTP: timeout for server 0xffffff00
BOOTP: timeout for server 0xffffff00

Here's a sample from the dhcpd.conf running on the server:

option domain-name "foo.com";
option domain-name-servers XXX.YYY.1.4,XXX.YYY.1.5;
shared-network name {
  subnet AAA.BBB.134.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    range AAA.BBB.134.125 AAA.BBB.134.140;
    range AAA.BBB.134.142 AAA.BBB.134.149;
    server-identifier  AAA.BBB.134.10;
    option routers AAA.BBB134.1;
  }
  subnet AAA.BBB.135.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    allow bootp;
    allow booting;
    option root-path "/data/bsdfs";
    range AAA.BBB.135.77 AAA.BBB.135.150;
    server-identifier  AAA.BBB.134.10;
    option routers AAA.BBB.135.1;
    filename "pxeboot";
  }
}

I'm not sure why I'm getting the server timeouts for bootp - after all,
it's the same server that handed out the dhcp info as well as info for the
kernel and boot loader.

Here's a snippit from the kernel:

# One of these is mandatory:
options         FFS                     #Fast filesystem
options         MFS                     #Memory File System
options         NFS                     #Network File System
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device
device          fxp             # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B

options         BOOTP           # Use BOOTP to obtain IP address/hostname
options         BOOTP_NFSV3
options         BOOTP_NFSROOT   # NFS mount root filesystem using BOOTP
options         BOOTP_COMPAT    # Workaround for broken bootp daemons.
options         BOOTP_WIRED_TO=fxp0 # Use interface fxp0 for BOOTP
options         INIT_PATH="/stand/sysinstall"

Any ideas?  What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Jim