Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 03:42:52 -0400
From:      Dany Cayouette <danyc@playground.net>
To:        Adam Blake <blake@sba.miami.edu>
Cc:        mike@sentex.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoE help me please!! more info

The service field is part of the PPPoE negotiation.  I don't exactly know the
intent of it.  I guess the service provider could offer you 'standard' Internet
service or some kind of corporate VPN access  Then yout service provider could
use this field such that you could select if you want to access your corporate
site or just surf the web.  There can be other way of offering this service
selection but the use of this field could be an option.  From my knowledge few,
if any, provider use this field.  Most of the PPPoE clients did not really
implement this option.

I would investigate more closely the NIC.  The BSD box that worked once, did it
use that NIC card?  It is possible that your provider has 'hard-coded' the MAC
address of your NIC card such that only traffic from that NIC card can send
traffic on your circuit.  I would be surprised if they do this since it is a
management nightmare to track NIC MAC addresses.

Do you have a DSL or Cable modem circuit?  Do you have more than one PC attach do
the circuit?  One thing I saw, is that the provider doesn't track MAC addresses
of NIC but will only allow one NIC to communicate.  If you have more that one
device, it is possible that the other device connected has 'grabed' that MAC
entry such that your BSD box can not communicate.  If that is the case, you will
need to disconnect all the device on the LAN and wait for the MAC cached entry to
clear  [can't really say how long this would take] on your providers network (or
call them to ask to clear it manually).  Then connect only your BSD box and see
if you have more success....

Good luck,
dany