Date:      Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:00:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysinstall error adding disks..

I am trying to add 2 18GB Seagate Cheetah drives with sysinstall on /a and
/b. So I can use them with Vinum. This box is a Dual proc, Dell Poweredge
2400. The 3 drives in it are the same cheetah drives. They are hot
swap drives. Sysinstall had no problems labeling and installing on the
first one. I even had these other two mounted as /stripe0 /stripe1 on the
first install. But then i had problems with newfs -v setting up Vinum so i
figured id low level format them and reinstall. Everything seems fine with
the first SCSI disk but the other 2 sysinstall refuses to label.

When I go to label the disks sysinstall vomits with:

Error mounting /dev/da1s1e on /a : Invalid argument

In a dialog box, and behind it I see:

DEBUG: MakeDev: Unknown major/minor for devtype -

I have never had a problem using sysinstall to add disks. This box is
supposed to go into a data center today. The box its replacing died and
my employers of course want it installed yesterday. I have never seen this
error. Anyone know how to resolve this?

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"