Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 16:46:02 +0200
From:      Wayne Van Der Merwe <VDMERWW@telkom.co.za>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Help needed in installing Version 2.2.6 (First Timer)

Hi there all. I am new to FreeBSD, so my question could be stupid,
annoying to some, so I ask to please bear with me.

The reason that I would like to install FreeBSD is to learn more about
Unix as I do not have a spare Unix box to fiddle on, so FreeBSD will
have to do.

I do not have the money at the moment to get the FreeBSD 2.2.6 CDROM
from Walnut Creek & the Dollar to Rand (South African) ratio is out of
my packet.

I FTP'ed, from ftp://ftp.saix.net/pub , the 2.2.6-release documents ie
bin, dict, des, doc, games, info, manpages, proflibs, src, tools,
floppies and all the .TXT files, as this seems to be the initial info
needed to install FreeBSD.

Let me start

1) The PC that I want to install FreeBSD on is a Compaq Presario 460,
486 processor, 4 Meg Ram, Stiffy Drive 1.44 Meg, ISA Expansion Bus, 270
Meg Hard drive, VGA Monitor, One LPT port and one Com port. It has Dos
ver 6.20 and windows 3.1

2) I have read all the documents. In the Installing FreeBSD is say's you
need 5 Meg of RAM to install and 4 Meg to run. So I take it that I need
more RAM to make 5 Meg.

3) I tried the Installing from Floppy method with no success. All that
happened is, the  PC boots of the floppy, unloads the kernel them tells
me is I want to skip the Kernel config, edit it for a personal one or go
to CLI prompt. I used the one for personalise config of the Kernel. I
disable all the device drivers that do not correspond to my PC and saved
the settings. It the reboots and still goes back to the beginning, where
I have to start all over again, I used the one for personalise config of
the Kernel. I disable all the device drivers that do not correspond to
my PC and saved the settings ect.

4) I gave up on that and preceded to Installing from a DOS partition. I
must say that my PC has no partition on my C drive. I lapped-link all
the files in BIN to c:\FreeBSD\bin onto my PC. I used a setup program
that I got under the tools directory. It gives me an critical error:
DOS027 sector not found drive c.

Can some one help me out with this problem?

Thanks

Wayne van der Merwe
Special Services Division

E-Mail vdmerww@telkom.co.za