Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:16:12 -0400
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "BSDNews" <bsdnews@volcanus.org>
Cc:        "FBSDQ" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dial-in to FBSD

You did not state if the modem was working at all, so do this first.

Determining if your modem is connected to FBSD.

FBSD has a built in program called 'tip'. This program talks directly to the
physical PC com ports and to the logical serial com ports, commonly referred
to as com1, com2, com3, and com4. External modems use com1 and com2 because
there are only two com port nipples on the back of the PC. Logical serial
com ports com3 and com4 are internal ISA or PCI modems.

On the command line enter  tip comx   where x is the com port your modem is
on. For an external modem your chooses are com1 or com2. For internal modems
start with com1 and cycle through to com4. If you get "/dev/cauu : Device
not configured"  message for com1 through com4 that means you have not
configured your hardware correctly. If you get a connected message, this
means you talking to the modems internal configuration setup. You can use
the modems manufactures Hayes commands to change the modems hardware
configuration. You should be able to enter  AT   and hit the enter key and
the modem should respond with  ok . Use ~ followed by ctrl + d keys at same
time to exit tip command.

Telling the modem to answer calls.

By default all modems do not answer when it rings. The inbound modem must be
told to answer when it rings.

Use the about instruction to talk to the modem hardware.

	Enter AT&F0     to load the factory default0 into current profile.

	Enter ATS0=1    to tell current profile to answer on first ring.

	Enter AT&W0     to write current profile to saved profile0.

	Enter AT&Y0     to load saved profile0 into the current profile on power
up.

     The 0 in all of the above commands is a zero.