Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:28:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DUAL-brand ELF binaries

Vladimir B. Grebeschikov <vova@express.ru> wrote in list.freebsd-emulation:
 > Is there theoretical problem to make dual-brand binaries ?
 >
 > real situation: I need FreeBSD program with linux libraries

That's not possible, if my understanding of matters is correct.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  :-)

FreeBSD and Linux binaries use different syscall mappings.  The
appropriate mapping is selected by the exec() call and stays
the same for the whole process during its lifetime.  If you
want to mix FreeBSD binaries and Linux libraries, the mapping
would have to be switched "on the fly" during code execution
inside the process.  This is currently not supported, AFAIK,
and I guess it would be non-trivial to implement without a
significant performance hit.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)