Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 10:19:23 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: wchar_t definition...

> In the message wchar_t definition...,
> Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it> wrote :
>
> >This was on snap950322 with XFree86-3.1.
> >
> >While compiling the stock xdvi (xdvk-1.18f) I got the following errors:
> >
> >In file included from xdvi.h:22,
> >                 from config.h:43,
> >                 from xdvi.c:86:
> >/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h:74: conflicting types for `wchar_t'
> >/usr/include/stdlib.h:50: previous declaration of `wchar_t'
>
> Try with -DNOFOIL_X_WCHAR_T or -DNO_FOIL_X_WCHAR_T
> or even  -DFOIL_X_WCHAR_T

If some variation of this is in stdlib.h then this is by far the biggest
hack I've ever seen in a vendor header file. wchar_t should only be
typedef'ed in Xlib.h if (and only if) none of the system header files has
it. Since FreeBSD's stdlib.h has a typedef for wchar_t it is clear in this
case that the imake config is messed up. Probably the person has added
-DX_WCHAR to their StandardDefines in the imake config. Almost always
this is a mistake, and it's definitely a mistake on FreeBSD.

> (didn't remember the correct one for FreeBSD)
>
> >/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xos.h:107: conflicting types for `sys_errlist'
>
> remove #include <X11/Xos.h> in Xdvi sources

Maybe. Maybe not. This is just a warning and it can be safely ignored.
FreeBSD isn't the only system that causes warnings during the build.
A better answer is probably to get X11R6 patched through fix-11 or
XFree86 3.1.1, where I believe this is fixed!

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium