Date:      Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:37:19 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        "Guillermo Gonzalez" <ctrl4ltdeletemenews@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am unable to connect to my ftp server from anything other than the local host

"Guillermo Gonzalez" <ctrl4ltdeletemenews@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to ftp localhost I get this:
>
> [guillermo@tester ~]$ ftp localhost
> Trying ::1...
> Connected to localhost.
> 220- Welcome message goes here  :D
> 220 tester FTP server (Version 6.00LS) ready.
> 331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
> 230- READ OR DIE!!1
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
>
> However, when I attempt to ftp to the box's ip I get:
>
> [guillermo@tester ~]$ ftp 192.168.1.108
> Connected to 192.168.1.108.
> 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection.

First, check to see that ftpd is listening on that address:
sockstat -4
If you don't see the program listening, you'll have to tweak your
ftpd config.

If the program is listening, check your settings for any packet filters.
Are you running pf or ipfw?

I don't know where you got the idea that you should worry about pam, but
the fact that you can log in shows that your auth configuration is
correct.

-Bill