Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 13:30:58 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Dean Lombardo <dlombardo@excite.com>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, mladavac@metropolitan.at, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

On Mon, May 31, 1999 at 09:23:34PM +0100, Dean Lombardo wrote:

> occupies at least 512 bytes on disk.  So is 44Mb the _actual_ size of
> the whole thing, as stored on disk, or just the sum of individual file
> sizes?

I would expect that Satoshi measured with du (or maybe df if he
has a partition for the ports tree).  In either case, the measurement
is in allocated blocks of 512 bytes.

> installing the ports.  FreeBSD also seems a bit slow when dealing with
> lots of small files.

Either soft updates or async mounts should be used when initially
installing the system.  Probably not soft updates due to lcense issues.
There are safty concerns with async mounts, but if you're doing a
fresh install, you don't have precious data to worry about anyway,
and if something goes wrong during the install, you're probably going
to have to start over either way.

Anyway, if I were installing a system, I would not install the
ports tree during sysinstall.  I would get the system up, and then
install the ports tree while I can do other work on the system.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Stay close to the Vorlon.
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           *