Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 14:01:48 -0800
From:      Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>
To:        "Nick Barnes" <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for home security cameras?

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001 20:26:46 +0000
"Nick Barnes" <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com> wrote:

> My house was burgled just before Christmas.  Next time this happens,
> it would be satisfying to present the police with pictures of the
> villains in the act of carting off our TV in our wheelbarrow, or
> ransacking our CD collection.  I'm thinking a few cheapo cameras,
> inside and out, hooked up to a server in an inaccessible spot
> (e.g. the attic) or off-site, after I get a cable modem.  I would
> prefer FreeBSD on the server.  What's the economic way of building a
> system like this?

Webcams are one of the few things I miss about Windows. Although it's hardly an economical choice the Axis Neteye 2100 camera may be what you want. It's a webcam with a webserver built into it based on Linux & Boa. The camera has both a modem and Ethernet port in the back; you give it an IP address and you can view the cam in a web browser. They're around $450 but maybe you can find a used one.