Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 1996 23:37:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joel Yancey <python@cia-g.com>
To:        Henry Spencer <henry@zoo.toronto.edu>
Cc:        "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: cable vs. ISDN

On Sat, 6 Jul 1996, Henry Spencer wrote:

> > well, First Off,if cable modems were around, ISP's wouldnt be, because
> > the Cable company has taken over the business...
>
> Most of the small ISPs are not long for this world anyway, because they're
> about to get competition from the local phone companies.  The people who
> own the existing wires have a powerful natural advantage, and there's just
> no getting around that.
Well, doesnt that take some fun out of running unix, if you cant be a
sysadmin on the professional level with out being hired out? i would
think most of the people around this mailing list would be against such a
thing.
 > > > plus, they CLAIM everyone
> > will have 10mbps per house hold, well, considering that theres not thaty
> > much bandwidth to waste for a bunch of web browsing crowd, and they say
> > that there will only be 128k recieve, but 10mbps send. now thats strange.
>
> Not really.  For one thing, the 128k/10M split is just an oddity of *your*
> local cable system -- the better-equipped ones are talking about symmetrical
> bandwidth.  For another, the cable company has *lots* of bandwidth available
> in their wiring; it's just a matter of the electronics on each end.  Of
> course, in the end, it will boil down to you paying higher fees if you want
> higher bandwidth.
Well, do you have proof otherwise? i heard this from a national bases, in
fact, from what *I* hear, they really dont exsist in the working form as
of yet.

> > *I* myself, dont like that opinion, because the cable company doesnt
> > really know what a computer system is all about, and i dont like the fact
> > that then they would have a monopoly.
>
> What do you think of phone companies?  It may come down to a choice of two
> evils.  As I said above:  they own the wires, so there's not a lot of
> room to maneuver.  If you don't like monopolies, start lobbying now for
> competitive cable and phone services.
no, i dont like the phone companies, but i sure can provide a service
using them, but with a cable company how am i supposed to get someone to
call me, when there already connected? and as far as beating a monopoly,
unfortunatly, i dont think ANYONE has enough money to lay there own cable
all of a city, or a state. now if YOU have any suggestions on making this
amount of money so i can do this, im listening.
>                                                            Henry Spencer
>                                                        henry@zoo.toronto.edu
Thank you, have a nice day
Joel Yancey