Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:37:40 -0400
From:      bremner@unb.ca
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapicam broken by ata_lowlevel.c rev.1.23

At Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:56:03 -0400,
Bremner David wrote:

> /dev/pass0: flushing cache
> /dev/pass0: closing track
> - [unable to TEST UNIT READY]: Input/output error

Following up to myself again; are we annoyed yet?

Anyway, I remember reading about someone trying "burncd fixate" in a
similar situation, so I did. It prints an error message, but seems to
work.   This is with a Plextor PX708A.

convex# burncd -f /dev/acd0 fixate
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCFIXATE): Input/output error

To summarize, here is what I had to do to get writing DVD+R media
working on FreeBSD 5.1-current (Nov 10), on a Plextor PX708A.  (DVD+RW
worked out of the box with "burncd -f /dev/acd0 dvdrw data.iso
fixate").

1) roll ata-lowlevel.c back to version 1.22
2) enable atapicam in the kernel
3) rebuild/reinstall kernel
4) install dvd+rw-tools from ports.
5) use
	growisofs -Z /dev/cd0=premastered.iso
to burn the disk (no idea if premastered makes a difference).
6) use
	burncd -f /dev/acd0 fixate
to close the session.
7) Ignore the error message from burncd.

Hope this helps.

db