Date:      Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:02:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      p9_gkvye <p9_gkvye@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   6.3-RELEASE, i915G, drm, dri

I have an Intel i915G onboard graphics device that
uses 8MB of shared memory.  After installing
6.3-RELEASE I compiled a kernel with the drm and
i915drm devices enabled (and leaving the agp device
enabled).

On boot, agp0 detects 8MB of memory for the i915G, and
/dev/agpgart is created.  But drm0 reports 0MB.
Consequently (?), the kernel reports 0 memory
available to the i810 driver in xorg, and dri is
disabled.  (The new "intel" display driver is worse --
xorg won't even run, complaining of insufficient
memory.)

When I was using 6.0 or 6.1 on this same hardware back
in 2006, I implemented Eric Anholt's May, 2006, source
modifications in /usr/src/sys/dev/drm.  Then, with the
drm and i915drm devices in the kernel, drm0 reported
8MB of memory, and dri in xorg worked after persuading
the BIOS that there were 12MB.  I'm therefore inclined
to deem the present condition a regression.

The 2006 drm patches won't compile in 6.3, apparently
owing to subsequent changes in the code for the agp or
pci devices.  The 6.3 version of drm_agpsupport.c
treats 6.3 the way Mr. Anholt's 2006 version treated
7.x, skipping some detection routines.

Has anyone tried 7.0-RC1 with an i915?  I suspect that
it's the same as 6.3 in this regard.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs