Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 23:45:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Dan the Man <dan@microtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gettytab question

>    Maybe someone out there can shed some light on this for me.  My 3.4
> system (right off of the CD) seems to be ignoring the 'if' and 'lm'
> fields in /etc/gettytab.  Everything I have read indicates that what I
> am doing should work, and the 'im' field works fine.  There don't appear
> to be any later entries in the file that override what I have specified
> in the default.  Here's what I've got, anybody have any ideas?
>
> default:\
>         :cb:ce:ck:lc:fd#1000:sp#1200:if=/etc/issue:\
>         :lm=Please log in\072 :im=\r\n\
>    +--------------------------+\r\n\
>    | Welcome to Capricorn.org |\r\n\
>    +--------------------------+\r\n\r\n:

I ran into this one, and finally figured it out....  Keep in mind that
it's been about three months since I've looked this, so it might be a
little iffy:

maxtech288:\
        :np:hw:ht:to#60:sp#115200:tt=vt100:\
        :pp=/usr/local/bin/pppin:\
        :lm=Username\72\40:\
        :im=:\
        :if=/usr/local/etc/dialupmsg:

Note the use of "\40" in the lm field instead of a " " character, and the
\72 for a colon...  (Octal values).  Not sure if you can use "\r" and "\n"
-- you may need to convert those into octal as well...

Probably putting in:

  :lm=Please\40log\40in\072\40:

... will work.

I also vaguely remember that if the "lm" field was screwed up, the "if"
field was ignored.

mike