Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 20:58:55 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To UNIX or not to UNIX ;-). Was: PPP problems.

>  > * Goals (roughly by importance)
>  > [ some points, many of which have been covered in previous discussion ]
>
>  This is all well and good, and we've been here before several times
>  over the years, but who is going to do the work?  Who is going to
>  write all this nifty GUI stuff which takes over the job done by all of
>  Windows' nifty GUI stuff for installing and configuring the system?

If you haven't already, take a look at http://www.kde.org/.

The project is young yet and tends to be a little unstable,
somewhat "linux centric" in many ways, but they are indeed
trying. I'm not saying it is THE solution nor everyone's
cup of tea, but for someone looking for a simple to manage
user-friendly desktop environment with a set of tools and
applications based on a consistent user-interface, it's a
very fine start.

As soon as it settles down to a stable release, I'll commit
a port. Otherwise, right now it's still a fast-moving target. :)

Regards,
David

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/