Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:42:37 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

>     /sbin down, they are already fairly small (3.8M and 10M) and it
>     isn't as though we need the disk space!  The static nature of

Actually, for embedded applications, you need the disk space. With the
above definition of "fairly small", you'd have a hard time fitting a
basic install on a 16m flash.

>     /bin and /sbin have saved me more times then I can remember.  I also
>     have unfond memories of blowing /lib up under linux and not being
>     able to do anything.

Bootfs sort of solves this, in that you could optionally build your bootfs
to contain fixit tools, and fall back to this if init fails to resolve its
symbols and all that.

Marius