Date:      Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:34:18 -0800
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT October images do not create a bootable install

On Fri, 8 Nov 2019 10:32:25 +0100 gljennjohn@gmail=2Ecom said

> On Thu, 07 Nov 2019 09:41:01 -0800
> Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge=2Ecom> wrote:
>=20
> > On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 17:28:16 +0200 Toomas Soome tsoome@me=2Ecom said
> >=20
> >=20
> > > if your system is not booting from GPT disk, it means it is not stand=
ards
> > > compliant=2E =20
> > Interesting=2E So then RELENG-12 is not "Standards" compliant=2E While 13-C=
URRE
> > NT is?
> > IOW I attempted in early October to install each of the (13-CURRENT) in=
stal
> > images available=2E Both on a 500Gb disk, and a 1Tb disk=2E All w/o success=
=2E In
> > desperation, I settled for the then (most recent) RELENG-12=2E 12 install=
ed
> > as all previous FreeBSD installs have done successfully=2E
> > So something in (recent) 13' boot layout has changed=2E I can boot Legacy=
/UEF
> > I/GPT
> > on 12=2E But cannot boot at all in recent 13=2E
> >
>=20
> I noticed that your 12 disk has Stripesize: 0 on all partitions
> but 13 has Stripesize: 4096 on all partitions=2E
>=20
> My bootable 13 disk has Stripesize: 0 on all partitions=2E
>=20
> Whether that is the cause of your problem I can't say=2E

Thanks for the reply, Gary=2E
Toomas also had some valuable input on my problem booting 13=2E
In any case=2E I used the installer to create the disk layout=2E I didn't
do anything different than I have for many years installing FreeBSD from
the install sources=2E What puzzles me, is that RELENG-12 creates a
bootable install, whereas 13-CURRENT won't=2E
I've manually setup disks innumerable times in the past=2E I'll see
if doing so produces bootable media doing it from a 13-CURRENT live
DVD, or MEMSTICK, and report my findings=2E

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Gary=2E
>=20
> [snip gpart output]
>=20
> --=20