Date:      Mon, 31 May 2004 17:06:59 +0100
From:      Robert Downes <nullentropy@lineone.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   5.2.1 goes beserk on EPIA M board

I have no CD drive on my EPIA machine, so I plugged the 2.5" Toshiba
drive into another machine to install FreeBSD 5.2.1 from a minimal
install CD I burned myself.

Installation ran fine on the big machine (a Pentium 4) and FreeBSD was
able to boot on that machine without problem.

I plugged the Toshiba drive back into my EPIA M (VIA C3 processor)
machine and the boot process began as normal, until it paused at the ad0
detection stage. Then messages like the following, dozens of them, start
to flood up the screen:

ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=11 <DSC,ERROR> error=84<ICRC,ABORTED>
LBA=4127103

I did have, yesterday, FreeBSD 5.0 running on my EPIA M successfully
until I tried to buildworld using 5.2.1 sources, at which point my EPIA
hard crashed and reset itself. I assumed my PSU had failed briefly, but
is it possible that 5.2.1 has special problems with the EPIA board or
processor?

Or are these messages a sign that my EPIA board is damaged now?

I'm starting to lose my mind with this new hardware. Any advice that
might clear up the chaos and reduce the possible lines of investigation
would be much appreciated.
--
Bob
London, UK